Wednesday 15 January 2014

COP3 - InDesign

When it came to printing my zine, I encountered a few problems which really set me back. Each page was exported as a PNG and placed into InDesign. When printed, unfortunately the resolution was not high enough, and they printed out extremely bad quality (even worse than 'bad zine quality'). This meant that I had to go through every single file again and export them as a high file. I was advised by a peer to save them as PDFs and then put them into an InDesign document. I spent a large amount of time doing this, to then find that the PDFs do not save with a white background, but simply saved each image separately. Because I'd re-saved my files, all of my original images became un-linked, and had linked everything up to one single image. This now meant that I had to go back through all of my files re-linking every single image and laying them out again. This was extremely stressful, and highlights some of the issues a user can experience with technology. Although it may initially aid design, it can also cause problems and set backs such as this.

Once each file was re-linked, I was re-advised to export each file as a high res Tiff in grayscale. This heightened the contrast on all of my images, which was a really nice effect as some quality had been lost during scanning and so on. Eventually, I had a complete document ready for print.


I am fortunate that throughout this process I managed to keep myself organised, otherwise it would have been impossible to re-link all of my files, searching for different images. I kept myself organised by using a filing system that allowed me to know where everything was.



No comments:

Post a Comment