Thursday 16 January 2014

COP3 - evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I feel that throughout this module, I have been able to communicate theory through practical work effectively. The written element and initial research really allowed me to gain a considered understanding of the aesthetics and processes that were necessary to produce appropriate graphic products that were relevant to my content. I have been able to gather a wide range of sources that were focused and relevant to both areas, organising and evaluating these in a way which was clear and easy to apply. These research skills also led to a better understanding of audience and creative concerns, which meant I was able to demonstrate a befitting tone of voice as well as applying appropriate content to a chosen format. I believe that my theory gave me a strong foundation for the practical side of this brief, which I feel aided me in my designs and thought process, allowing my to synthesise effectively. My practical was therefore appropriate in terms of theory and also in terms of working within an existing environment. 

In addition to this, I also feel that my academic skills have improved, specifically in terms of referencing and critical analysis. Initially, I was unaware of how to reference correctly, with very little understanding of referencing images and primary research within my written work. This is something that I developed an understanding of throughout this project, using online resources and files given to us in order to improve. This allowed me to correctly format my work, including appendices and a list of illustrations. 


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Although I had worked with the cut and stick DIY process before, this was something that I wanted to develop and expand on in order to synthesise my project successfully. Although my room was covered in hundreds of bits of paper, the process of cutting and sticking in order to create layout was extremely enjoyable. It allowed me explore a new way of working, and made me steer clear of focusing my work purely on illustrative design. This was all kept organised through the use of folders and categories, so that it didn't all go over my head.

This year I have also conducted a primary research study in order to inform my research and argument within my written work. I initially struggled to create a set of questions that were appropriate and relevant, offering me responses that would be deemed useful. However, I made sure to focus these questions on my research themes, in order to give me feedback that could be used throughout. I wanted to gain some contemporary theories and view points, as I was investigating zines within today's society. The results were extremely beneficial, aiding me towards my own conclusion, as well as influencing my opinions and my practical work.  

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

In this module, I feel that my academic writing has been particularly strong. I have always had a keen interest in writing, and enjoy researching into topics that stand out to me. As I had chosen a topic that I had particular interest in, it was much more enjoyable and I was able to get really involved in this particular brief. As I felt this part of the module was strong, it gave me a good foundation for the practical side, giving me a better understanding of audience, tone of voice and visuals. 

Organisation was definitely key during this project also. As my project was cut and stick based, I was lumbered with a lot of sheets of paper and images. If I hadn't organised myself from the beginning then I probably would have found myself in a bit of a panic. In order to make sure things went smoothly, I created a number of separate folders that I was able to use to categorise all of my images and content. I feel that my final piece represents, all with relevant image and content. All of this was helped by my research skills and keen interest in the subject matter. I was also organised in terms of balancing my work. I made sure that I had drafts complete for each deadline given to me by my tutor, as well as having a full first draft finished during the first week of Christmas. This allowed me to carry on my synthesis of practical work and get it to a high standard. 

I also feel that I have effectively followed my project proposal. I initially stated that I wanted to make sure I obtained a large number of different types of fanzines so that I was able to make observations across a broad range of publications, and not simply focus all my attention on one genre or one movement. This is something that I feel I have successfully achieved. I have also directly contacted a number of different printers and individuals etc in order to gain a better insight and understanding into my topic. This was done through the use of a questionnaire, which gave me qualitative data that was in depth. 

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

I feel that one weakness to my work is that I could have expanded my practical further, getting the most out of it. It could have been pushed further to include appropriate supporting material that reinforced my concept. I also wish I had spent more time in building up a website that worked alongside my physical products, in order to allow for a more contemporary mode of distribution. 

My blogging also could have been to a higher standard. I initially started off blogging as I went along, however, as Extended Practice began to take over I started to slack on this. As I started to synthesise my written element with my practical work, I wasn't documenting this process. I feel that this affected my organisation towards the end of the project, as I had some catching up to do in terms of getting all my practical work up there. It was also more difficult to blog the lectures, as the information was quite in depth and hard to document. It could also be accessed at a later date online when it became more relevant. 

 5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. I would have liked to have expanded on my primary research by perhaps getting in touch with more individuals that were connected to the movement. This way I could have gained an even better understanding of the subject by collecting first hand accounts. Confidence issues stopped me from doing this, and I want to make sure that I push myself next time in order to get most out of a brief. 
2. I would have liked to have expanded on my publication in terms of creating other issues or other volumes. This would have given the user an idea of what is to come or what is to be expected of 'Involved'. 
3. I should have created a larger body of supporting material that could have strengthened my concept as well as my themes of production and distribution. 
4. I wish that I had put my products in a place where the individuals who contributed their interests to it could have interacted with it and got involved. This would have given me feedback as to whether or not my concept was successful. 
5. I would like to place my products in the environment. For example, if I had had more time, I could have actually sold my zines on an online store, such as Etsy, or I could have included them within a zine fair. By doing this, I could gain feedback and a better understanding of what the audience wants. 

How would you grade yourself in the following areas (5 - excellent to 1 - poor):
  • Attendance: 5
  • Punctuality: 5
  • Motivation: 4
  • Commitment: 4
  • Quantity of work: 3
  • Quality of work: 4
  • Commitment to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment