Friday 16 March 2012

THEORY TO PRACTICE

My main idea is to create a dating catalogue of different artists/designers/people that are relevant to certain lectures or aesthetics. To guide me, I will use a blend of my five chosen theories and practices.

My group from a previous workshop agreed that this idea was the strongest. They chose it for the following reasons
- good reference tool for work
- interesting way of learning
- humorous, easy to take in
- useful for all years
- useful for Richard's current lecture task

I need to focus on creating a good balance of theory and practice, showing a mediation. I need to make sure it's also both original and functional. At first, my initial plan was to use a whole range of designers and different theories, however I don't want it to get to the point where my blog is just completely clogged up with a whole load of research that is all over the place and doesn't make sense. I therefore feel that the best way forward would be to focus on one main period of art and design. 
The lecture on modernism was something that I really enjoyed. At first I think I had a pre-conceived idea of how I felt about modernism, however this lecture changed that. Myself and a peer were discussing how we first believed that we would prefer post-modernism, but this is not the case. I'm extremely interested in composition and layout and this has led me to look further at Swiss design also, focusing on grid, type and colour.

“Graphic Design Manual: Principles and Practice “ Armin Hofmann





"Documenting Graphic Language No.2 "





'De Profundis', Oscar Wilde


Penrose Annual 1958


Swiss modernist design for the chemical industry




Basic Typography – Ruedi Rüegg/Godi Fröhlich 1972


Publicite 11 1964


Karl Gerstner: Review of 5×10 years of graphic design


Publicite 12


Corporate Diversity – Swiss Graphic Design and Advertising by Geigy 1940-1970


1972 Munich Olympics


All images taken from http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/07/17/lessons-from-swiss-style-graphic-design/ a great reference source for Swiss design


No comments:

Post a Comment