Wednesday 6 March 2013

TED BAKER - pattern inspiration

As we plan on creating patterns for the Ted Baker brief, I decided to look into some existing patterns, and how they'd been applied to different products, as well as how they'd been applied over a range.

Lucy Hawkins






This work by Lucy Hawkins is absolutely stunning. It's the type of design that get's me really excited. She is actually a Leeds based designer also which got me particularly interested. These illustrations were created specifically for a self initiated project that was inspired by the English Countryside. I found that not only was the illustration relevant to our project, but the content was also. The colours used within these designs are extremely eye catching, and they work perfectly against the use of ribbon. They are playful, humorous and well executed which is something we hope to put into our own work. It is also interesting to see how she has applied the image to gift wrap, cards and gift tags.

Rifle Paper Co.

Wrap -




It was nice to see here how a sheet of wrap could create something extremely eye catching and effective when used as a way of covering a box. It allowed me to picture in my head how a pattern or design could be applied to a product in this way. The additions of ribbons is something that turns the product into a cohesive whole, tying everything together in more than one sense. 

Tags -




On this website, gift tags are also sold alongside the wrap and the gift cards. The patterns have been applied here in a way that isn't the exact copy of the wrap. I like how just small glimpses of the pattern can be seen, allowing space for your own personal message. This also mean that the tags don't just simply blend in against the wrap, but stands out in it's own way.

Ben Rothery




These patterns were something I also looked at. This was mainly because of the content as opposed to the style. The colours do not personally appeal to me as I feel they are too dark and dingy, however, I like how to opposing images have been used to build up a repeated pattern, which is something that will inform our design work.

No comments:

Post a Comment